About Me

My photo
Self proclaimed writer. Hands on photographer. Story teller. Dreamer. A work-in-progress human.

Friday, March 15, 2013

Are flamingos snoots?

On February 24, I made the very coveted excursion to Kumbhargoan, Bhigwan, a conscious decision after my first visit to Diksal lake around the same vicinity. Aloha joined me. His better half was kind to pack us some lovely breakfast and lunch that was enjoyed en route and return journey.

The Pune-Solapur highway is sleek, although, I miscalculated the travel time and didn't reach by 7 am. I wished to photograph the birds in the golden light of dawn
. Nevertheless, I was mesmerized by the green fields and the species of birds that inhabitated the water bodies during this period of time.

As I clicked photos, I noticed that flamingos didn't mingle with the other species. Grey herons, painted storks, egrets, ibis' hung out together but flamingos were found in far corners away from all these. However, what they lacked in inter-species networking, they made up in team effort. Once they decide to take flight, the entire flock clears space within minutes a few far kilometers away from the cameras that are hoping to get closer and closer.


I wish to shoot the birds during dusk and dawn. Hopefully later this year again!

1 comment: