About Me

My photo
Self proclaimed writer. Hands on photographer. Story teller. Dreamer. A work-in-progress human.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

JG makes salad


So I have been doing this for a while inspired by healthy eating habits. The salad books I got were never put to good use however I have always believed in experimental cooking. If it turns out well - I do it again and again.
Quite often, I end up reading the nutrient stuff that they publish in Bombay times. When I remember, I quite often make a cut out and file it in a display folder. Well I do not have more than 3 articles now, however in the long run I guess I shall have tons. 
So I learnt that greens, pulses, egg whites, curds, cheese are good and should be made part of your regular diet. I do eat the veggies but where on earth should I consume lettuce or broccoli?
And here’s the result of the experiment, which I presume is a very healthy option.

  1. Put veggies or legumes/pulses to boil (in the above I have used green beans, corn and bengal gram). I avoid veggies such as cauliflower since I like them better cooked.
  2. After these are approximately 95% steamed, add the broccoli for about two minutes of steaming. It retains it nutrient value that way. 
  3. Then stain (get rid of the water - people say this water is also healthy but I am not sure. If you believe so, drink it as soup)
  4. Cut lettuce and purple cabbage. Do not steam these.
  5. Add raw colored (red or yellow) capsicum. I have used yellow here.
  6. Now I cant just eat veggies, so I add a 4 slices of multigrain bread to this mixture. I feel like I have eaten something
  7. Add curds - an appropriate amount 
  8. Add seasoning as you like. 
  9. Salt to taste
  10. Fresh pepper
  11. I added some Ranch dressing too
  12. Give tadka of jeera and green chilli (big pieces) in olive oil (one tea spoon) and add it to the salad. 
  13. Then mix it well and I presume I have a healthy recipe to eat
  14. Add egg whites for proteins - or simply make a yoke-free omelet to spike up the protein content and satiate more appetite. 

With the quantities and packaging available in the market, I use half of everything once and the other half later during the week. Each time is a decent salad meal for two.

Not a bad option eating salad twice in a week right? May be it should be a salad day on Tuesdays & Thursdays.

No comments:

Post a Comment